042 Ascension Day
Happy Ascension Day! We talk about our new summer book club, the names of days given on page 31 of the Prayer Book, Bishop Jack Spong, Epiphany, Christ the King, and... wait, was there something else? Oh, right. Ascension Day.
Download this episode (mp3).
- Our new summer book club: All Things Read & Musical
- BCP page 31: The Titles of the Seasons, Sundays, and Major Holy Days observed in this Church throughout the Year
- The Day of Pentecost: Whitsunday
- The Sunday of the Resurrection, or Easter Day
- The Epiphany, or the Manifestation of Christ to the Gentiles, January 6
- The Nativity of Our Lord Jesus Christ: Christmas Day, December 25
- The Seventh Sunday of Easter: The Sunday after Ascension Day
- Eucharistic Prayers
- Prayer I; page 335: "Wherefore, O Lord and heavenly Father, according to the institution of thy dearly beloved Son our Savior Jesus Christ, we, thy humble servants, do celebrate and make here before thy divine Majesty, with these thy holy gifts, which we now offer unto thee, the memorial thy Son hath commanded us to make; having in remembrance his blessed passion and precious death, his mighty resurrection and glorious ascension; rendering unto thee most hearty thanks for the innumerable benefits procured unto us by the same."
- Prayer II; page 342: "Wherefore, O Lord and heavenly Father, we thy people do celebrate and make, with these thy holy gifts which we now offer unto thee, the memorial thy Son hath commanded us to make; having in remembrance his blessed passion and precious death, his mighty resurrection and glorious ascension; and looking for his coming again with power and great glory."
- Prayer A; page 363: "We celebrate the memorial of our redemption, O Father, in this sacrifice of praise and thanksgiving. Recalling his death, resurrection, and ascension, we offer you these gifts."
- Prayer D; page 374: "Father, we now celebrate this memorial of our redemption. Recalling Christ's death and his descent among the dead, proclaiming his resurrection and ascension to your right hand, awaiting his coming in glory; and offering to you, from the gifts you have given us, this bread and this cup, we praise you and we bless you."
- Hymn 215: "See, the Conqueror mounts in triumph; see the King in royal state"
- Hymn 214, st. 2: "Wide unfold the radiant scene / take the King of glory in"
- Our Epiphany episode: 013 Epiphany (Pod, Frankincense, and Myrrh)
- Listen to our idea for an Easter Lessons and Carols project 041 An Easter Project for 2020
- Thy Kingdom Come
If you enjoy listening to this podcast, we encourage you to help support it. Become a Patron for $1 a month (that's about 50¢ an episode).