005 The Pod-estant Reformation
Two Anglicans try to figure out exactly who this Martin Luther guy is. October 31, 2017, will mark the 500th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation. Show notes: http://www.riteandmusical.org/2017/10/the-pod-estant-reformation.html
Download this episode (mp3).
- Martin Luther nails the 95 these to the door of the castle church at Wittenberg October 31, 1517
- King Henry VIII dissolves the monasteries and abbeys in 1538
- Hymn 61: "'Sleepers wake!' A voice astounds us"
- Hymn 505: “O Spirit of life, O Spirit of God”
- Catherine Winkworth, noted for her poetic translations of many German chorales is given her own [provisional] feast day (August 7) in Holy Women, Holy Men.
- Hymn 688: “A mighty fortress is our God” - words and music by Martin Luther, hymnal harmonization by J. S. Bach.
- Hymn 48, tune name is Es flog ein kleins Waldvögelein. In the Hymnal 1940 this was called “Woodbird.”
- Martin Luther is commemorated on February 18 in the Episcopal Church (Lesser Feasts and Fasts).
Thanks for listening! We always enjoy hearing from you. You can find us on Facebook and Twitter. You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Subscribe to the podcast via iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play, or our feed.
Post a Comment
We want everyone to comment, and please sign your real name when you do.