005 The Pod-estant Reformation
Two Anglicans try to figure out exactly who this Martin Luther guy is. October 31, 2017, will mark the 500th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation. Show notes: http://www.riteandmusical.org/2017/10/the-pod-estant-reformation.html
Download this episode (mp3).
- Martin Luther nails the 95 these to the door of the castle church at Wittenberg October 31, 1517
- King Henry VIII dissolves the monasteries and abbeys in 1538
- Hymn 61: "'Sleepers wake!' A voice astounds us"
- Hymn 505: “O Spirit of life, O Spirit of God”
- Catherine Winkworth, noted for her poetic translations of many German chorales is given her own [provisional] feast day (August 7) in Holy Women, Holy Men.
- Hymn 688: “A mighty fortress is our God” - words and music by Martin Luther, hymnal harmonization by J. S. Bach.
- Hymn 48, tune name is Es flog ein kleins Waldvögelein. In the Hymnal 1940 this was called “Woodbird.”
- Martin Luther is commemorated on February 18 in the Episcopal Church (Lesser Feasts and Fasts).